Whether you are now planning to start your own fine art photography
collection or bidding fiercely on multimillion-dollar art pieces, you need to
know exactly what you are doing. The art market can seem daunting and
intimidating to many people because they have no confident criteria by which to
judge the prices and quality of works of art. With knowledge, collecting and
investing in fine art photography can prove both a fulfilling and an extremely
In a world where photography has become the main medium through which we observe
the world, photography as a medium for fine art (or fine art photography) is
experiencing unprecedented appreciation. Photographs have been collected since
their invention. However, the opportunities for star ting a photography
collection have never been greater than at present. The prosperous global
economy is rapidly fuelling the fine art marketplace with new millionaires and
billionaires, who view art collecting and investment as a means of diversifying
their portfolios. This higher demand for art naturally raises the quality of
creative output from contemporary artists, heats up the art market, and drives
fine art prices as never before.
The excellent quality of modern fine art photographs has allowed photography to
emerge as an essential medium of artistic expression and collection on par with
more traditional arts, such as paintings and sculptures.
Reliable information about the intricacies of the fine art photography
market, compiled in a systematic presentation, has been difficult to come by;
and while knowledge is far more accessible today, so is misinformation. Whether
unintentional or deliberate, inconsistent information makes it tricky for
collectors to filter and apply accurate knowledge.
This book demystifies fine art photography collection and investment. Laura Cope
provides you with all of the necessary tools to understand the art market and
navigate it effortlessly.
The Art Rush is the first of its kind, and it unlocks the secrets behind
a successful fine art photography trade. This comprehensive guide is essential
for collectors and investors, both novice and established, who are interested in
acquiring fine art photographs. Laura’s fresh perspective on the technical
aspects of photography, combined with the wealth of knowledge and extensive
connoisseurship of her lineup of world-expert contributors, will provide you
with invaluable, immediately useful insights and concrete information to keep
you from making investment mistakes.
Get ready to expand your knowledge, to become a highly educated and
well-informed art collector, and to dive into the fascinating world of fine art
photography with The Art Rush.
In these pages you will uncover…
Everything You Need to Know to Excel As a Fine Art Photography Collector
- Beginning or expanding your fine art photography collection
- Why collecting fine art photographs will enhance your investment
- Why art is considered a “bulletproof” market by the super wealthy—and
how to get a piece of the pie.
- The five biggest mistakes to which novice collectors fall prey—and how
to avoid them.
- A step-by-step system on how to approach the photography art market like
- Knowing when not to buy art—and why.
- How to rise above marketing hypes and rationally evaluate the market.
- The key factors to consider when evaluating fine art photography
- Verifying the authenticity of a photograph.
- Making wise purchasing decisions when you are on a budget.
- Negotiating like a master and get the best value for your money.
- Psychology tricks for buying art—and how to use them to your advantage.
- The most critical questions to ask before closing the deal.
- The longevity of a photograph and how to take proper care of your print.
- The fundamental lighting rules to assure the best presentation of your
- Obtaining access to the most exclusive art pieces before anyone else.
- A comprehensive checklist of the documents you must expect from a
- Predicting which emerging fine-art photographers will be successful.
- The best time to sell your art and the smartest ways to go about it.
- And most importantly, how your fine art photography collection can add
unparalleled beauty, fulfillment, and inspiration to your life.